A wisdom tooth can cause an insufferable pain, especially when it is impacted. The impaction occurs when the tooth does not get adequate space to erupt and the dentist might suggest getting it extracted if the condition gets extremely severe.
You will certainly get relieved from the discomfort after the extraction, but you also need to follow quite a few measures in order to get through the healing period.
The surgical site will remain tender for a few days after the surgery and these useful tips can help speed up the healing period.
- Keep your upper body close to an angle of 45 degrees while sleeping. Thus, keep your head elevated. The surgical area might take a lot of time to recover if you lie down flat on your back. Therefore, place more than one pillow to sleep in an elevated position, it will help subside the pain and the discomfort. You can also use a wedge-shaped pillow to sleep in this position. Continue this till the first three days.
- Eating anything hard during the healing period can not only cause discomfort but might also extend the recovery time. Therefore, eat foods such as mashed potato, minced chicken soup, ice-cream (not the hard ice candies), thick smoothies and other soft & nutritious foods until and unless the surgical area recovers completely. Also, remember not to chew your food from the surgical site to avoid inflammation and other uncalled problems until and unless you get a green signal from your dentist.
- Don’t rinse your mouth vigorously after brushing or having meals, doing this can dislodge the blood clot. Also, do not use a hard-bristled toothbrush and clean gently near the surgical area.
- Swish your mouth with lukewarm salt water for a few days to speed up the recovery time.
- Avoid lifting anything heavy or exercising until and unless the surgical site recovers completely. A lot of exertion can elevate your blood pressure and lead to excessive bleeding.
- Consult your dentist immediately if you are experiencing some severe discomforts. It could be an immense amount of bleeding which might not stop even after putting pressure on the area. It can also be a throbbing pain or something more serious.
A lot of you might restrain yourself from going for a wisdom tooth extraction due to your dental anxiety or fear. But, we at Advanced Family Dentistry use latest dental technologies to make the treatments comfortable.
Call us today at +1 603-821-9046 to get that painful wisdom tooth pulled out.